Pulau Perhentian

Destination:

View Larger Map

It has been a year since our last visit to the Perhentian Island. I still can remember that it happened during my birthday week last year. I was looking for a break to stay away from my never ending works and so Elaine and I decided to go to the Perhentian Island for that weekend to have some rests. I invited my siblings together for the trip as I always believe that the more members we have for an island getaway trip, the more fun it is!

We started our "nightmare" drive to Kuala Besut where the jetty to Perhentian islands is located at. It was a freaking long travel as the jetty was located at the state of Kelantan. It took us some 7:30 hours to reach the jetty with all the tired bodies on the car =_=! To be honest, I barely can walk on that morning as my legs were numb after squeezing them in small seat on my car for so long. We hardly able to make a midway stop for some body stretching as we were racing against time to reach the jetty before 8:30 am where the first boat to the island will depart.

Kuala Besut Jetty:




We were on a speed boat to the island.






Texts taken from [http://www.perhentian.com.my/]:
The Perhentian Islands are two islands named Pulau Perhentian Kecil (Small Perhentian Island) and Pulau Perhentian Besar (Large Perhentian Island). The Malay name Perhentian is translated as “place to stop” and this is exactly what these two islands were for traders travelling between Malaysia and Bangkok in years gone by. These islands are still a gorgeous place to stop and rest today, albeit for tourists disconnecting from the stress and routine of everyday life and not for weary seafaring traders.

The islands remain relatively untouched and the only permanent inhabitants live in a small fishing village on Perhentian Kecil. Apart from footpaths that cut through the jungle, there are no roads on the islands. The only way to get around is by walking through the jungle or taking a sea taxi. If you tread carefully, you may even encounter some of the islands’ shy wildlife on the way, such as monitor lizards, fruit bats, squirrels or even the elusive mouse deer. Simple chalets and some moderately luxurious resorts line the picturesque beaches along with restaurants, dive centres and boat operators advertising their services with hand-painted signs.

The island that we stayed on was the Perhentian Besar Island.


This is the beach view from our resort - Awana Perhentian Eco Resort during high tide.


A dive into the crystal clear water to getaway from all the hassles at work. All in my mind was about my new encounters with all kinds of sea creatures! Be it corals or the fishes!








Giant clamp found on seabed.


The tide falls in the evening and we could enjoy a walk on the beach as the water is retreating.


Sea cucumbers were found everyway on shallow water near the beach! If only it is eatable, my parents would be so grateful that we found so many of them :p.


Giant clamp found on a rock exposing itself from the water when the tide falls.




A little surprise during our walk through the water and we found the Clown fish! Yes, the "Nemo" that you seen in the Disney's animation. We found it at one of the live corals and it was so "shy" and tried to run away from our hands. It took us some 5 minutes to have it in our hands to bring it out from the water for a clearer picture. I know we should not have done that but please forgive us, I am just the kind of "Kampung" boy to be so excited to see a clown fish.






It was a pleasant trip out with all my family members. I enjoyed so much with a swim in the water with the whole gang as nothing is more fun than being out in the sea with lots of lively fishes down there swimming around your body! I know some might claim that Perhentian Island is too much polluted these days and corals close to shore are dying rapidly. Although we couldn't have enjoy such a magnificent sea bed view with all the colorful and lively corals, but we did have a time out with all those we care about swimming next to each other and HAVE FUN! I love traveling! LOL

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Bro, I wanna join your next trip! Pls include me next time!!

Michael & Elaine said...

Hey bro :)... no problem! We are going to Kuala Selangor for seafood and fireflies soon :p ... I count u in ok :) ...