KKB - Trekking to Chiling Waterfall

I remember my old mate - Liew was organizing a water rafting trip to Kuala Kubu Bharu(KKB) before it was canceled due to low number of participants. And just few days before, my mate - Wai Keat was talking to me about his coming day trip trekking to Kuala Kubu Bharu - Chiling waterfall too. So I was thinking what is so special about the place as it keeps attracting groups of people visiting there.

So it was two days ago, the plan flashes through my mind - KKB's Chiling Waterfall for a day out trekking in the wild. So I created an event invitation and forwarded to my list of mates through Facebook. There was a total of 9 confirmed guests and together we were heading to KKB early on Saturday morning.

Direction:

View Larger Map

By going through Rawang and headed out to Serendah before reaching at Kuala Kubu Bharu, it was a bloody long way =_=". Finally we arrived at the Chiling Fish Sanctuary around 10:30am in the morning. We parked our car at one of the open parking areas near to the entrance gate to the waterfall. There is two open parking areas available, one is right at the left side after a steel bridge some 200m away from the gate and the other one is right opposite of the gate. If so happens that both parking areas are full, you can park by the road side too as shown in the picture below.


Further up the road (some 20km away) is Fraser Hill :).


Entrance gate to the Fish Sanctuary of Chiling river.


About some 500m away from the gate, we arrived at the ranger's office to register ourselves for visiting the fish sanctuary. In addition, we need to pay RM0.50 each as registration fee for visiting the waterfall.


Facilities like public toilet is made available there for the convenience of the visitors.


Some pieces of advises:
1. Please read the map (Compulsory for first timer) as it is easy to go on a wrong path in the jungle.


2. Stay on the trek close to the river as that is the one leading to the waterfall. Other paths are available in the park for trekking to higher ground away from the river. So stay close to the river.

3. Be prepared to get wet as you will need to cross the river for 5 times using the trek to reach the waterfall. water level is around 1 meter the deepest (depending on weather condition). A trekking stick will help a lot as the rocks on the riverbed are very slippery.

4. In case of bad weather condition, please head back to the ranger's office as soon as possible. Should never go in or stay in there during bad weather. If trapped in bad weather, stay away far from the river by hiking to higher ground as flash flood might occur.

5. Read the rules below:


6. Cross the cable bridge to start trekking 4 at a time as that is the maximum weight the bridge can take.


It takes an hour walk through the jungle trek to arrive at the waterfall. For the first 20 minutes, we were walking through the bush about 1.5 meter tall through a small path. The trek was very muddy and slippery as it was raining for the past few days. It become worse as we went closer to a stream cutting right through our path. Water flowing down got diverted into our path and it was flooded. It is kinda challenging for a big guy like me to go through the bush as the branches keep hitting my head and body. I was kind of like needed to bend my body for most of the time to avoid those out growing branches.

Phew... Finally we went through the bush and arrived at the first river crossing point. Everyone was looking so anxious waiting for his turn to cross as I think they are not prepared to get their body wet yet :p. Well, there we go. My first step into the river was a big shock for me as I was not expecting that the water was so cold! The chilling water struck me at my feet and it went straight through my spine on to my head and down to my body - I was silvering =_=. It was just so cold! So moving on through the slippery rocks down at riverbed, step by step we cross the river. Thank god as no one falls down and we are all at the opposite bank. We continue our trekking uphill with another 4 similar river crossing points.

About 12pm, we finally arrived at the waterfall! Hurray!!! The tiring walk through the jungle trek is definitely worth it with a magnificent waterfall view as our reward :). The sound of water flashing down through the gap between two big rocks and it splashes onto the pool of water underneath was just so beautiful! In fact that could be the best healing "melody" :p


To find that there were so many visitors around, we gave up the plan to dive straight into the water. Instead, we were taking rest after an hour+ of exhausting walk and filled up our stomach with our self-prepared lunch :p... Guess everyone must be so hungry after the heavy morning exercise :D




Some unknown plants found nearby.








Our country is blessed with such a beautiful rain forest which is rich of flora and fauna. I truly believe that it is the best gift from our mother earth for everyone of us. But these forests are not going to last any longer with a generation who is lack of environmental protection awareness. It is a shame to have the authority to enforce strict rules on visitors to the nature to minimize the damage done on the forest. Why not everyone of us taking the initiative to protect our mother nature?







Rocks were put right before the rapid as a barrier that impounds water to make the pool deeper.


When the other visitors are leaving, it is our time to own the pool :p ... lets conquer the waterfall lol!


Guys were having fun jumping down from the big rock in to the water! I was not ready for one though lol :p






We were heading back around 2pm as sky is turning dark - looks like it is gonna rain soon. A group photo taken moment before we leave. We follow the same path we came from and walk as fast as we could to avoid being trapped in the wild as the dark clouds were building up. I was mumbling to myself that please do not rain now as I have nothing to cover my camera and handphone =_=. Fortunately, we were right on time to reach the ranger's office moment before it started to rain heavily. Lucky!

On our way back, I stopped by the roadside to take a picture of the Selangor Dam which I missed when we were passing by it in the morning. It was such a mesmerizing view :).





It was a real tiring trip but we all had fun! Both of my legs cramped when I reach home around 5:30pm. I must be over worked my body with 2 days of extreme exercises - Friday 2 hrs Futsal and Saturday another 2 hours of jungle trekking. Thank you guys for making this trip an unforgettable one! I hope everyone of you had fun like I do :). I will try to organize more trips to give everyone a good weekend getaway plan :p!

For more pictures - please refers to Purpleflute's blog.

4 comments:

[乐] said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
[乐] said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
[乐] said...

Nice Post Michael....here are more pictures of the trip : http://purpleflute.juzblog.juzweb.com/2009/10/11/kbbwaterfall/

Michael & Elaine said...

Yea, I just read yours too :p ... nice one bro! I just put a link to your post too :), let's organize more weekend outings to keep everyone stress free :p