Checklist for United Kingdom Business Trip

I was told by my project manager about an "opportunity" to travel to UK for a component development on last Friday. I was a bit excited at first thinking that this might be a chance for me to take a free ticket to UK to travel around :). He was telling that I might only need to travel in 2 weeks time to UK for a duration of 6 weeks until the component is delivered. I was thinking at the moment there are still plenty of time for me to get myself prepared. So I was not paying any attention on it at all until Monday when he came to inform me about my flight - which is on this coming Saturday - 17/10/2009! Man, this is really crazy =_="

This is not bad enough when I was told about the travel allowance. I ended up had to take cash in advance from the company for the trip and any of the costs I spent there would have to claim back by receipt with a limit set on it. I will not be getting the money until Thursday which is so late and I have got bunch of stuff need to prepare as it is a kinda long period - 6 weeks. Sigh ... Just wonder why can't they arrange it better to give me more time to prepare. None of us know that what kind of development it is and there is no clear requirements ready as a guideline for me to get prepared for the work.

If this is still not bad enough, here comes the worst thing! Suppose I am to travel with a mate together to UK for this assignment. Due to his nationality which requires him to take a UK visa before flying over which optimistically will take 5 days to complete. So he misses this Saturday flight and will only be able to meet up with me next week in UK provided if he gets the visa. So I will be traveling alone this Saturday to a place I have no idea where it is and with the very little cash I have... Sigh, I hate this feeling really. I was not told until the very last minute. There is no time for me to really prepare anyway.

So right now, think again - is this really an "opportunity"? Think twice please for those who thinks that this is gonna be a fun trip away from the "hell" office in MAS :)

Anyway, here is the checklist that I prepared in the shortest time I have:

  • International Passport (Malaysian)
  • Foreign Currency (GBP)
  • Credit Card
  • 15 litres Light Backpack (High Sierra)
  • Laptop
  • Travel Adapter + power extension ports
  • LX-3 (charger, usb cable + tripod)
  • Map (Travel Guides Book)
  • Log book
  • Flight E-tickets
  • Office/Accommodation/Project Managers (MAS & UK) - Addresses & Contacts
  • Rain Coat (disposable)
  • Bath items (shampoo, soap, cleanser, tooth brush + paste, towel)
  • Body product (comb, Body Talc, Body Lotion & Deodorant)
  • Reusable Shopping bag
  • Sleeping Bag
  • Winter Wear, Scarf, Beanie
  • Socks x 8 pairs
  • Work Attire x 5
  • Casual wear x 3
  • Boots
  • Sandal
In case I miss out anything, please drop a comment to remind me please my friends =_=" I am really so disorganized now due to the short preparation time.

0 comments: