UK: Bonfire @ Nottingham

It was an ordinary Thursday at Nottingham. Suddenly my mate came to me and started to talk about an annual event in Nottingham - Bonfire for Guy Fawkes Night. It is an annual celebration in Great Britain on the evening of 5th November. The event marks the downfall of the Gunpowder plot of 5th November 1605, in which a number of Catholic conspirators, including Guy Fawkes who attempted to destroy the Houses of Parliament in London. The Festivities are centered on the use of the fireworks and the lighting of bonfires.

We got off from work around 7:20pm and quickly rushed back to town to catch a tram to a nearby recreational park - The Forest. It was a windy night with a little drizzle. That marks my first time taking a tram in Nottingham and I was double charged for my fare =_=". It cost me 5.60 pounds for a return ride which will only costs half of the price actually.

Upon arrival to the park, we were walking towards the direction where the spot light was. In the middle of the picture we can see that the bonfire was lit up. Photos below were taken from my mate Marcus as I did not bring along my camera that night :). Thanks a lot mate for your photos contribution.


The overall setting at the park was more like an amusement park as there were lots of rides and other entertainment attractions assembled for the public to have fun.


A game that you can win one of the dolls if you hit the target on the dart board :). 2 pounds for 3 throws, pretty expensive right? I remember that I used to play these kind of games in the fun fare at my hometown when I was a kid, nice!


Bonfire was lit up on a foundation of blocks of woods. Public are banned from walking near to the fire, fences were put on to stop the people from getting close to it. It was burning fiercely there in the middle and it kept everyone warm from the never end drizzle and chilly wind.


Soon around 9pm, the first firework was lit up and that marks the long awaited fireworks session.


Please check out the video on how beautiful the fireworks were that night!




The fireworks session lasted only for some 20 minutes. We left the place once the fireworks session was over as the rain was getting heavier. We managed to reach catch a tram back to city center afterward. It was a wonderful night with some beautiful fireworks. I was really having fun although it was a little too crowded for me as I don't really like to hang around crowded place. Thank you to all my mates who suggested and invited me along to the annual celebration :). Cheers!

0 comments: